Saturday, March 15, 2008

Enrique Iglesias Plans to Retire by Age 50


By Heather Chin

(previously published on thecelebritycafe.com on March 1, 2008.)


Iglesias intends to keep going until he makes an ‘It’ album for the ages.

In comments made to The Associated Press, 32-year-old Enrique Iglesias announced his plans to exit the stage by middle-age, assuming that he doesn’t still have the vigor to keep going. “I'm not sure I want to be up on a stage when I'm 64 or 65,” he said. "But that's what I say now. Who knows if I'll have the courage to do it when the day comes."

This would contrast with the career of his father and fellow singer, Julio, who after four decades is still serenading fans with romantic melodies. However, this doesn’t mean the younger Iglesias doesn’t admire such long-term effort. “In my father's case, I think he's going to die onstage and I respect that very much,” he explained. “In my case, in 15 years I'll probably look ridiculous singing 'Bailamos' ('Let's Dance')."

Such a presumption may seems just as ridiculous to fans, but it does leave time for several more albums to be produced. The Madrid-born heartthrob first entered the pop scene in 1995 with a self-titled album and is releasing a greatest hits compilation titled “95/08” this March.

Heartbroken fans can take comfort, though, in the fact that Iglesias considers his musical repertoire a constant work-in-progress. "When I listen to my music I think it can still continue to evolve," he said. "After a couple of months go by, I think I could write a better song."

Then what kind of song and album would he like to end on? As Iglesias put it, "One you listen to 10, 15, 20 years from now and say, 'Oh! I wouldn't change a thing.'"

So until that time comes, the world may still have an Iglesias performing on stage.

No comments: